It is said that “divorce is a marathon, not a sprint.” How would you train for a marathon? If you were trying to be the winner of the Boston or New York Marathon, you’d hire a trainer or coach who is an expert on running a marathon either having won one, or by being extremely knowledgeable about winning a marathon and how to get you there. Your coach would come up with a plan to:
· Be your guide through the training process
· Help you with the physical aspects-muscle strength, endurance training
· Send you to specialists such as nutritionists to give you dietary guidelines
· Mentally train to believe you are the best runner in the world
· Continuously encourage you when you feel you’ve reached your limit
Now let’s take the athlete model and add a Divorce Coach to your divorce process. Most individuals are looking to get the best financial settlement in the least contentious way at the lowest cost. A Divorce Coach, like an athletic coach would help you get clear on your goals and come up with an action plan to:
· Help keep you focused on your goals in the face of overwhelming emotions
· Know how the divorce process works
· Be the expert on the experts-Legal Counsel, Financial Advisors, Mental Health Professionals, etc.
· Understand how you can get through the divorce process best given your unique situation
· Be your sounding board when you’re not sure about key decisions
· Help you save money by keeping you organized and focused
· Continuously encourage you to be your best self in the face of adversity
The best time to hire your Divorce Coach? Without a doubt, before you go through the process. Would you wait until you were halfway to the finish line to hire your athletic coach?