The most important thing to note for any day that is a symbolic in some negative way for you is that you recognize that it’s going to be difficult so plan accordingly. Waiting for the day to just happen will instill fear and worry in you.
- Plan something to do, ideally with a friend. Try not to go to a restaurant that’s having a special dinner in honor of the holiday.
- If you know you’ll be alone, give yourself a job for that night. Watch an uplifting movie, cook yourself a delicious dinner, do some work you’ve been putting off.
- Go to the gym and take a class. Chances are everyone in the class is in the same boat as you.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen. It will completely change your focus from you to the people you’re helping.
- Make a list of all the great things about you. Force yourself to write at least 10!
- Take a break from social media. It’s no fun watching everyone you know post about the fun they’re having with their date.
- Take a mirror and smile at yourself for as long as you can. It will make you laugh.
- Have a party with a crazy theme for all your single friends.
If you’re just off a relationship:
- DO NOT go through old photos of you and your former partner or remind yourself of last year when you…While it’s important to let yourself feel your emotions and not stifle them, on this particular day, adding fuel to the fire is not the best idea.
- Create a goodbye ritual for the relationship that’s ended and perform it on that day.